(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
(registration instructions below)
Learn how to create this great link using a wire-wrap method! The repetition of the wrapping method on a small component makes this a great project to really practice the technique. You will also learn a great deal about forming loops as well as how to control your forging. The focus of the class is on forming the actual links but chain will be available as well as brief instruction to assemble the dangles of the earrings pictured here.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate because the wraps need to be snug and the design is symmetrical.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials (for each link):
- (3) 1.5″ strands of 16ga square wire
- (1) 3″ length of 16ga 1/2 round wire
(Earring kit available in class for $5.00)
Tools: (inquire about renting tools if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (needle files are fine for this)
- Flush cutter
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)/ rubbing alcohol
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48)
- Embossing hammer or a ball pein with no sharp edges on the flat end
- Steel block and silencing pad
- Sanding sponges/Emery Papers/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Painter’s tape
- Liver of sulfur
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.