(registration instructions below)
Combine your skills working with wire with a bit of soldering to create this great forged wave ring! Crafted of 14 ga sterling silver wire, the heft of this ring requires smart technique and the use of heat to anneal the material in order to create the form. We will utilize the mathematics used for sizing a ring to determine the length of wire needed, but have no fear, even though I will explain the formula, I provide you with measuring charts so you won’t have to do the figuring. The 3-dimensional quality of the forged wave will certainly challenge your brain though.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Advanced (***)
The 3-D quality challenges your brain to keep track of which plane you are working on.
Secondary Discipline: Soldering
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
The ring shank requires solder to strengthen the form and hold the size of the ring. Because of the 3-D form, you will need to utilize good heat control.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Available in class for $4.50)
- 7″ length of 14 ga. sterling silver dead soft wire
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) (needle files are fine for this)
- Flush cutter
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmith #PL48)
- Bail Pliers (Beadsmith # PL42)
- Wrap n’ Tap Pliers (Beadsmith #PL46)
- Steel block and mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing hammer
- Pin vise fitted with a 2.3mm cup bur (for 14ga wire)
- Sanding sponges/Slurry coated polishing cloths/Polishing pad
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
- ring sizing ruler
- digital caliper
- Forming hammer
- Ring Mandrel
- Finger gauge set
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.