Twisted Ribbon Link Earrings
(registration instructions below)
Learn to use the jeweler’s saw properly while you cut out this forgiving shape! I will review all of the basics about setting up and using the saw. The “twist” in this project adds a great 3-dimensional attribute and introduces the concept of mirror images for earrings. You will learn to use hammer texturing as well as learning how to finish the surface with a hand polishing technique (no buffing compounds or power tools needed!). This class is a must for the novice wanting to work with sheet, yet it explores the twist for those with more experience.
Using a jeweler’s saw to cut shapes from metal sheet.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great skills class to learn how to use the jeweler’s saw to cut a shape from sheet.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit available in class for $21)
- (1) 1″ x 1.625″ piece of 20ga silver sheet
- (1) pair of silver ear wires
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file (Swiss cut #4 half-round recommended)
- Needle file(s) – optional
- Embossing hammer
- Steel block and silencing pad
- Bench Pin/ Clamp
- Jeweler’s saw frame and 3/0 blades
- Silicone lubricant
- Sanding sponges/Polishing pad
- Slurry coated polishing cloths (360-4000 grit)
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Ring Clamp (optional to help hold your pieces for filing)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class (please feel free to bring them if you have them):
- rubber cement
- pin vise with a 2.5 mm ball bur
- nylon jaw pliers (2 pair)
- Hole punch (Beadsmith # LPUNCH1 – 1.5mm and 2mm)
- Wrap n’ Tap Pliers (Wire-Loopers Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent)
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.