(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
(registration instructions below)
This tab clasp is the perfect complement to a wide bracelet! In class we will create this great 1.5″ wide tab clasp perfect for chain maille, multi-strand beading, or various other designs. Because you control where to drill the connection holes, you can customize it for your particular project. We will be soldering the tab on in this class, but it could be riveted on as well. You will also use a jeweler’s saw to pierce the slot.
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great skills class for sweat soldering.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $70/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit available in class for $20)
- (2) .75″ x 1.5″ piece of 22ga silver sheet
- (1) 1″ x 1.5″ piece of 24ga silver sheet
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file (Swiss cut #4 half-round recommended)
- Needle file(s)
- Texturing hammer – ball-pein or otherwise
- Plastic forming hammer
- Steel block and silencing pad
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Bail Pliers (Beadsmith PL#42 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Bench Pin/ Clamp
- Jeweler’s saw frame and 3/0 blades
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- honeycomb soldering board
- medium silver solder
- jel flux
- bamboo skewers
- #52 drill bit and flex shaft or drill press
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.