Sweat Soldered Pendant
(registration instructions below)
Learn to solder onto textured silver as you create this simply elegant pendant! Explore the technique of sweat-soldering to bond larger joins. We will use anti-flux to contain the solder and then finish the piece with a simple bezel-set stone.
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great skills class for sweat soldering onto texture.
Secondary Discipline: Stone-setting
Capturing a stone with precious metals.
Level: Beginner (*)
The pre-fab calibrated cup and stone allow for the focus to be on how to capture (or set) the stone.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $65/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit available in class for $17)
- .75″ x 1.5″ piece of 22ga silver sheet
- 1.625″ length of #5 low dome silver wire
- 5mm cabochon
- 5mm bezel cup
- small bail
- 18″ 1.5mm leather necklace
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade needle file(s)
- Flush cutter (large)
- Texturing hammer – ball-pein or otherwise
- Plastic forming hammer
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- honeycomb soldering board
- medium silver solder
- jel flux
- bamboo skewers
- bezel pusher
- burnishing tool
- stone setting set
- 1.5mm hole punch (Beadsmith #LPUNCH1-1.5mm and 2mm holes) OR #52 drill bit and flex shaft or drill press
- pin vise fitted with a 2.5mm ball bur
- silicone lubricant
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.