(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
Spinner Ring (Part 2 of 2 part series)
(registration instructions below)
Transform a sterling silver band ring into this great spinner ring! This project assumes you have the knowledge of how to make a band ring. Click here to get the details on the Band Ring Class (which is part 1). You will need a band ring made that is 3/8″ wide, and then in this class you will learn to make the patterned ring that will spin.
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Advanced (***)
This project requires specific sizing and the previous ability to make a band ring. This is part 2 of a 2-part series.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Pattern blank available for $4 in class)
- 3/8″ wide band ring (from part 1 – Band Ring Class)
- 3″ Strip of pattern wire Rio # 102108 (this accommodates most women’s size rings)
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade metal file (swiss made #4 cut half round)
- Steel block with mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing hammer
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent with 13mm,16mm, and 20mm steps)
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmtih #PL48)
- Emery papers, sanding sponges, slurry coated cloths – various grits
- Ring clamp (optional)
- Jeweler’s saw frame and 3/0 blades
- Bur-life, cut lube, bees wax or other lubricant
- Bench pin and clamp
- Sharpie Marker (ultra fine tip)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class (feel welcome to bring them if you have them to reduce the wait time):
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
- rubber jaw vise
- 2″ square
- finger gauge set
- Ring Mandrel
- Forming hammer
- Ring shank ruler
- Digital calipers
- Split mandrel/ flex shaft
- Dapping set
- Utility hammer
- Liver of sulfur
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.