Soldering Wire Hearts Class
(registration instructions below)
Learn to form and solder great wire hearts from silver wire! Hearts are a great shape to challenge your forming and soldering skills. There are 3 solder joins, but I will show you my tips for greater success. This project is unique in that I will be sharing a forming/soldering process, but you will have the flexibility to work in various sizes and the directions will not be size specific. This is listed as an intermediate class because the variables count on you having some introductory forming experience. You can use your heart as a pendant, charms or earring dangles.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great class to help you integrate your forming and soldering skills, but you need to be comfortable forming wire before taking this class.
Secondary Discipline: Soldering
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great skills class to experience the integration of soldering and forming wire.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $60/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- 5+” of 14ga & 2″ of 16ga for a large heart; 3+” of 16ga and 1.5″ of 18g round sterling silver wire for a medium heart; 2+” of 16ga and 1.5″ of 18g round sterling silver wire for a small heart;
- findings/beads are optional
Note: I will have the materials available for purchase in class as well.
- Jewelry grade file(s) – needle files work fine for this
- Flush cutter – heavy duty
- Pin vise with a 2.3mm (for 14ga), 2.1mm (for 16ga), and 1.7mm (for 18ga) cup burs
- Silicone lubricant
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent – 13mm,16mm,20mm steps)
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48)
- Bail-making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42)
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flat pliers
- Steel block or anvil and mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing hammer
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine tip)
- Ring clamp
- Sanding sponges/Slurry coated polishing cloths
- Magnifying glasses– most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- hard and medium silver solder
- honeycomb soldering board
- 18ga binding wire for soldering pins
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.