Soldering Jump Rings
(registration instructions below)
Transform commercial chain into a trendy necklace that also works with the Converta Clasp! This is a great introduction to soldering. Not only will you learn to solder a ring closed, you will also learn to solder one closed while attached to other elements. This is an intrinsic skill in making jewelry and can be used in many various designs. You are expected to have the ability to open and close jump rings well before taking this class. Here is a pic of the project on a neckform for you to see an alternate view…
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great intro to soldering. You will however be expected to already know how to open and close jump rings well.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
Sunday, March 24, 2019 from 2 – approximately 6pm.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $65/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit for sale in class for $37)
- 32″ of commercial round link chain (Rio #69246750)
- (8) 10/32″ ID 16ga sterling silver jump rings
- (4) 16/32″ ID 16ga sterling silver jump rings
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Flat-nose pliers
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flush cutters
- Jewelry grade needle files
- Sharpie marker (fine tip)
- Steel wool (00), sanding sponges – various grits
- Cross lock tweezers with a nylon handle
- Weighted base (optional)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.