Soldered Oval and Rounded Square Links
A Measuring Charts Made Easy Project: Stage 1 & 2
Forming – Soldering – Hammering (optional)
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
Saturday, September 28, 2019 from 2-5pm (or so…)
How do I sign up?
Class will be $60/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Materials will be available for sale in class if you don’t have your own. The class is meant to focus on the skill of making these two styles of links, but if you want to make earrings as you see pictured, here’s the list of materials… (if you want to just focus on making links, you need just over 1.5″ for each square one and just under 1.5″ for each oval one)
- 6″+ length of 18ga dead soft sterling silver wire
- (1) pair of hand-made ear wires (these are the ones I teach using MCME)
- (4) 4/32″ID 18ga jump rings
MCME Reference: ( The instructions will include my measurements, but if you want to customize the patterns for your own tools…)
- Spacer tools: 1/4″, 1/8″, 3/8″, and 3/16″
- Measuring tool for U Curves – 18ga/ stepped pliers – small step
- Measuring tool for Diameter Curves – 18ga/ stepped pliers – small step
- Flush cutter
- File(s) – needle files are fine for this project
- Stepped pliers (Beadsmith #PL48)
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flat pliers
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine tip)
- Embossing hammer (optional if you want to hammer them after they are soldered)
- Steel block/ silencing pad (optional if you want to hammer them after they are soldered)
- Texture hammer (optional)
- 3M sanding sponges/ slurry coated polishing cloths
- Magnifying glasses– most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
- Basic soldering set-up
- Medium silver solder
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.