(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
Soldered End Caps
(registration instructions below)
Learn to fabricate your own sleek end caps using silver tubing! Not only will I share how to solder the end caps, but I will also teach you how to make a multi-strand leather necklace with them. End caps are a great design element and can dress up a wide array of necklaces including multiple beaded strands.
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
The height of the tube adds challenge to this join.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $65/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit for sale in class for $25)
- (2) 3/8″ length of 1/4″ OD silver tubing
- (1) 3/8″ x 3/4″ piece of 24ga sheet silver
- (1) 2+” length of 16ga sterling silver dead soft wire
- (2) 5/32″ID 16ga sterling silver jump rings
- (2) 5/32″ID 16ga soldered sterling silver jump rings
- 72″ of 2mm leather (yields approximately a 20″ necklace)
- “S” Clasp
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flat-nose pliers
- Stepped pliers (Beadsmith PL#48)
- Flush cutters –heavy duty
- Jewelry grade metal file (swiss made #4 cut half round)
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine tip)
- Emery papers, sanding sponges, slurry coated polishing cloths
- Jeweler’s saw frame and 3/0 blades (optional)
- silicone lubricant
- bench pin and clamp
- Ring clamp
- Metal shears
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
- transfer punches
- bamboo skewers/ 1/4″ wood dowel/ wood file
- center punch
- tube cutting jig and vise to hold it
- #54 drill bits/ flex shaft
- pin vise fitted with a 2.5mm ball bur and a 2.1mm cup bur (for 16ga)
- custom hole punch for leather
- Nikolas lacquer and spray box
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.