(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
(registration instructions below)
Learn to use a tube rivet to attach adornment to a ring! In this class we will use pre-cut blanks to explore the connective qualities you can achieve by creating tabs formed from within the ring band which allow you to rivet decorative parts to the top. We will solder the ring shank and decorative finials to complete the look.
The use of a metal pin or tube to fasten pieces of metal together.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate, because the tube rivet is in an awkward position.
Secondary Discipline: Soldering
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate. The ring blank is pre-cut for you resulting in a perfect seam to solder on the band and then we will use pallion soldering methods to create and attach the decorative finials if you desire them.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
A kit will be available in class for $65.
Tools: (inquire about renting tools if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (Preferably a half-round #4 cut Swiss file)
- Needle files (optional)
- Ball pein hammer or other hammer with a nice round head for texturing
- Embossing hammer or other texture hammer you may desire
- Steel block and pad
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Bail-making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42 or equivalent)
- Wrap n’ Tap pliers (Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent – 13mm,16mm,20mm steps)
- Sanding sponges (various grits)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- Ring mandrel
- Basic soldering set-up
- Forming Hammer
- Third hand and cross-lock tweezers
- Transfer Punch (13/64″D)
- Utility hammer
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.