(registration instructions below)
The use of a metal pin or tube to fasten pieces of metal together.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate because of the nail-head style of riveting.
Secondary Discipline: Reticulation
Using a torch to draw the surface of silver into ridges and valleys, creating a unique texture.
Level: Intermediate (*)
This project is considered beginner reticulation because it is just an introduction to the discipline and our shape is quite forgiving.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $65/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: Kit (available for sale in class for $10)
- 1″ square 24 ga silver sheet
- 1″ square 21ga copper sheet
- 4″ 16ga sterling wire
- (1) 5/32″ID 16 ga jump ring
- 18″ 1.5mm leather necklace
Tools: (inquire about renting tools if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (#4 cut Swiss half-round file recommended for this project)
- Flush cutter (large preferred)
- Sharpie markers (ultra fine point)
- Dividers (optional)
- Ring clamp (optional)
- Bead reamer (optional)
- Ball pein hammer or other with a nice small round head
- Steel Block/ silencing pad
- Forming Hammer
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Sanding sponges/ Steel Wool/ Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class, but if you have them – bring them so you won’t have to wait to use them:
- Sheet magnet
- Pin vise fitted with a 2mm ball bur and a 2.1mm cup bur
- Bur life or other lubricant
- Spring-loaded center punch
- Drill press or flex-shaft
- #55 and #51 twist drills
- Euro Power Punch or Beadsmith equivalent
- Baking Soda, Barkeeper’s Friend or other cleanser
- Liver of sulfur
- Spray Lacquer for silver (Nikolas)
- Riveting Anvil
- Basic Soldering set-up
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.