Re-purposing Scraps of Silver
(registration instructions below)
Make something fabulous from your left-over silver scraps! We will explore various methods of melting and/or fusing with the torch to give new life to the little bits you have been saving. You will learn to melt it into spheres; to carve charcoal for rudimentary casting; and to fuse them into abstract “objects d’art”.
The use of a torch to transform/bond silver.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great beginner technique that can be refined to an art form with practice.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $60/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- Scrap bits of silver as well as pieces of sheet and/or wire to augment your design(s)
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s)
- Flush cutter
- Metal shears
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Bail Pliers (Beadsmith # PL42) -optional
- Wrap n Tap Pliers (Wire Loopers – Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent) -optional
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmith # PL48) -optional
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- liver of sulfur
- old charcaol blocks
- wax/dental carving tools
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.