Re-purposing Scraps of Silver
(registration instructions below)
Make something fabulous from your left-over silver scraps! We will explore various methods of melting and/or fusing with the torch to give new life to the little bits you have been saving. You will learn to melt it into spheres; to carve charcoal for rudimentary casting; and to fuse them into abstract “objects d’art”.
The use of a torch to transform/bond silver.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great beginner technique that can be refined to an art form with practice.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
Sunday, October 14, 2018 from 2-5pm.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $60/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- Scrap bits of silver as well as pieces of sheet and/or wire to augment your design(s)
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s)
- Flush cutter
- Metal shears
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Bail Pliers (Beadsmith # PL42) -optional
- Wrap n Tap Pliers (Wire Loopers – Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent) -optional
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmith # PL48) -optional
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- liver of sulfur
- old charcaol blocks
- wax/dental carving tools
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.