Jewelry Design 1:
Diameter Curves and Teardrop Roll-back Loops
(registration instructions below)
Learn to create your own custom forming charts using basic building blocks of jewelry design! I will present 2 very basic design elements: diameter curves and teardrop roll-back loops. Then bring you through the process of recording a reference chart for those elements that is unique to your own personal tools, and show you how to make corresponding measuring tools. Once you have created some reference for yourself, I will show you how to use it to plot measuring charts of your own with minimal use of a ruler for some basic components that feature these elements.
Please note: This is more of a skill-based lesson as opposed to my typical project-based class. You will not be completing a project in this class even though you will be working with your tools. However this is the basis I use for designing many projects and the reference you create will offer you the ability to customize my patterns for your tools or to modify the design concepts I present with ease.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great class to develop your understanding of how to plot designs. You will begin to develop a design reference for yourself that will be very beneficial for your future projects.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- 14g, 16g, 18g, 20g round copper wire (mostly 16ga – a few feet is good)
Note: I will have wire available for purchase in class as well.
- Flush cutter (heavy and light if you have both)
- Calipur if you have one
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent – 13mm,16mm,20mm steps)
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48)
- Bail-making pliers (optional) (Beadsmith #PL42)
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flat pliers
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine tip)
- Pen to make notes
- Magnifying glasses– most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class…
- clear packing tape
- cardstock – 2″ squares and a 3″ strip for making measuring tools
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.