Forged Wire Ear Hooks
(registration instructions below)
Meld your soldering and wire-working skills to make these dynamic contemporary earrings. Experience the different feel of forming work-hardened wire in contrast to the soft wire and explore working a 3-D form in mirror images. I will also show you how to control the seam of solder from running too far. The beads in this project can vary (or be omitted) as long as they fit snugly on the 20ga wire.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Intermediate (**)
The 3-D quality of these earrings makes them challenging.
Secondary Discipline: Soldering
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Beginner (*)
Just a basic pallion soldering join that is easily disguised.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- (1) 11″ length of 20ga wire – dead soft sterling silver
- (4) beads that fit snug on 20ga wire
I will have kits available for sale in class for $5.
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (needle files are fine for this)
- Flush cutter
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Nylon jaw pliers
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48) –Optional
- Wrap and Tap pliers (Wire Loopers – Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Embossing hammer
- Pin vise fitted with a 1.3mm cup bur
- Silicone lubricant
- Steel block and silencing pad
- Sanding sponges/ steel wool/ Slurry coated polishing cloths
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided in class, but bring your own if you wish:
- Basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
- jel flux
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.