(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
Forged Scalloped Chain Class
(registration instructions below)
Form and forge this delicate looking chain! This project is a great intro to using a hammer to “forge” wire to have a flat plane as well as forming a series of links that match. This link features a small teardrop connection loop that is a fundamental connection for wire jewelry. We will also be using jump rings to connect the links and making a matching clasp. Once you learn this technique, you can take it to another level with the coordinating bracelet class.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Beginner (*)
This is a great introductory class to forming and forging wire. The repetitive quality of this project allows one to become comfortable with the process. The assembly of the links once formed is fundamental to making jewelry.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- 1/2 ounce of 16g round sterling silver wire (or copper if you choose)
- 17 sterling silver jump rings – 16g 4/32 ID
- 1 soldered sterling silver jump ring – 16g 5/32ID (copper can be used as well, but you need a closed ring for the clasp)
Note: I will have the materials available for purchase in class as well. ($22 kit to make an 18″ chain)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – needle files work fine for this
- Pin-vise fitted with a 2.1mm cup bur (optional)
- Flush cutter
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent – 13mm,16mm,20mm steps or a 1/2 inch diameter hard dowel) –Required! Please let me know if you have trouble getting these as I can have some available in class.
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48) –Required! Please let me know if you have trouble getting these as I can have some available in class.
- Chain-nose pliers
- Flat pliers
- Steel block or anvil and mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing hammer
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine tip)
- Sanding sponges/Emery paper/Polishing cloth (also available for sale at class)
- Magnifying glasses– most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.