(registration instructions below)
Explore the 3-D qualities of forming metal sheet while making this great pendant! In this class we will work with a pre-cut blank that I have custom designed to form an elegant pendant sure to attract attention. We will use hammer texturing and a riveted bail to complete the look.
The manipulation of sheet and/or wire to form a desired shape.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great class to expand your perception of what a flat shape can become.
Secondary Discipline: Riveting
The use of a metal pin or tube to fasten pieces of metal together.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate, because the spacer rivet is in an awkward position.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail email@example.com with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- Pendant kit available for sale in class for $40 (or request the pattern ahead of class and cut it out yourself if you have the skills to do so…)
Tools needed: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade metal file (swiss made #4 cut half round)
- Needle files (optional)
- Steel block with mat to muffle the sound
- Ball pein hammer (or other decorative hammer)
- Bail making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent with 13mm,16mm, and 20mm steps)
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmtih #PL48 )
- Flat pliers
- Chain-nose pliers
- Emery papers, sanding sponges, slurry coated cloths – various grits
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class (feel welcome to bring them if you have them to reduce the wait time):
- Split mandrel with strips of emery paper
- Flex shaft
- #52 drill bit
- Silicone lubricant
- Dapping tool or solid 1/2″ diameter mandrel
- Liver of sulfur
- Pin vise with 2.3mm cup bur
- Rivet starter block (14ga)
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.