(registration instructions below)
Make these great wedge shaped folded beads using cold-connections! In this class we will use a jeweler’s saw and metal hole punch to cut out the pattern from sheet silver. You will be amazed how a few simple folds create the 3-D bead. Then we will utilize tube rivets to secure the form.
The use of a metal pin or tube to fasten pieces of metal together.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This project is considered intermediate, because the tube rivet is in an awkward position.
Secondary Discipline: Sawing
Using a jeweler’s saw to cut shapes from sheet metal.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is an intermediate sawing project because it is important not to cut into the pattern.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $50/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
A kit will be available in class for $5 per bead.
- 7/8″ x 1 1/4″ piece of 24ga sheet
- (2) 1/8″ lengths of approximately 1/8″OD silver tube (Rio #100955)
Tools: (inquire about renting tools if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (Preferably a half-round #4 cut Swiss file)
- Needle files
- Ball pein hammer or other hammer for texturing
- Steel block and pad
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Chain-nose pliers (optional)
- Bail-making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42 or equivalent)
- Jeweler’s saw frame/ 3/0 sawblades
- Bench pin and clamp
- Silicone lubricant
- Sanding sponges (various grits)/ 600grit emery paper/Slurry coated cloths
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
(Feel free to bring them if you have them)
- Rubber cement
- Liver of Sulfur
- Transfer Punch (13/64″D)
- Forming hammer
- Utility hammer
- Euro Power punch (or Beadsmith Equivalent)
- Tube cutting jig
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.