Fold-form Textured Earrings
(registration instructions below)
Learn to texture sheet by folding and unfolding! In this class I will introduce the concept of fold-forming as a method of texturing and provide direction to create these wonderful fluted components. We will work in copper to keep the risk low. The process involves lots of hammering and annealing with the torch, so class is sure to be active. The colored patina on the copper is created with the torch and then we’ll seal them with lacquer.
The folding/forging/unfolding of sheet to form a desired texture or form.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great class to explore how to manipulate sheet repeatedly.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $70/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit available for sale in class for $10)
- (2) 1 1/4″ squares of 23 or 25 ga copper sheet,
- (2) 18 ga 6/32″ID sterling jump rings
- 1 pair of lever-back ear wires
Tools needed: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade metal file (swiss made #4 cut half round)
- Needle files
- Rubber jawed vise
- Steel block with mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing hammer (optional)
- Pear shaped forming hammer or rawhide mallet
- Bail making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Flat pliers
- Chain-nose pliers
- Metal shears
- Ultra fine tip sharpie marker
- Emery papers, sanding sponges, slurry coated cloths – various grits
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class (feel welcome to bring them if you have them to reduce the wait time):
- Circle template
- Large hole punch
- plastic pry bars
- 1.5 – 2 mm hole punch
- Basic soldering set-up
- Silicone lubricant
- Transfer punch set
- Pin vise with 2.5 or 3 mm ball bur
- nylon jaw pliers
- rag hand towel
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.