Elegant Wire Clasps
(registration instructions below)
Form and forge your own wire clasps to add unique character to your pieces! We will work with 16ga and 14ga wire to create these elegant forms that serve a function. I will share my tips and tricks to be sure they work well. The class focus is on the clasps – utilize them with commercial chain or another necklace or bracelet of your choosing.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Due to the weight of the wire and the function the forms must serve, this class is considered advanced.
Secondary Discipline: Soldering
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Beginner (*)
We will use simple pallion soldering to strengthen the joins we create.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Kit available in class for $6)
- 5″ length of 16ga sterling silver dead soft wire
- 3″ of 14ga sterling silver dead soft wire
- (2) 5/32″ ID 16ga sterling silver jump ring
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade needle file(s)
- Flush cutter
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmith # PL48)
- Bail Pliers (Beadsmith # PL42)
- Wrap n’ Tap pliers (Beadsmith # PL46 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Embossing Hammer
- Steel block with silencing pad
- Pin vise fitted with 2.3mm (14ga) and 2.1mm (16ga) cup burs
- Silicone lubricant
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.