(back to calendar) (back to Gallery of Projects)
(registration instructions below)
This is the key to a whole collection of convertible jewelry! Learn to form this dynamic clasp that serves as the converter mechanism. In class we will make a leather wrap bracelet that converts to a double strand leather necklace. I will explain how you can make more items to use with the clasp to create interchangeable necklaces and bracelets. Here are a couple of ideas:
Wear it as a pendant and add charms…
Place a clasp on both ends of the leather and then make chain/bead segments to add or remove.
NOTE: The chain and bead segments can be made to convert to bracelets as well!
See the Pigtail Wire Wrapped Bead Class to learn how.
Working with precious/semi-precious wire to form jewelry components.
Level: Advanced (***)
This project is considered advanced because we are forming heavy wire with precise use of tool placement and isolated forming.
Secondary Discipline: Leather and Metals
Incorporating the marriage of leather and metals to make jewelry.
Level: Beginner (*)
This project is considered beginner because we are working with fundamental techniques to securely work with leather cord.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $65/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
- 3.5″ of 14ga dead soft wire for each converta clasp
- 41″ strand of 2mm leather cord cut blunt at both ends
- 8″ of 16ga half round wire (soft)
- (2) 6/32″ID 16ga closed rings
A kit will be available in class for $10.
Tools: (inquire about renting tools if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade file(s) – (needle files are fine for this)
- Flush cutter
- Sharpie marker (ultra fine point)
- Chain-nose jewelry pliers
- Flat-nose jewelry pliers
- Step pliers (Beadsmith # PL48)
- Wrap n Tap pliers (Wire Loopers – Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent)
- Bail-making pliers (Beadsmith #PL42 or equivalent)
- Pin vise fitted with a 2.3 mm cup bur
- Bur life or other lubricant
- Embossing hammer
- Steel block and silencing pad
- Sanding sponges/Steel wool (#00)/Polishing pad (also available for sale in class)
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class:
- Needle and thread
- Large needle punch
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.