This class can be taken on it’s own or as Part 1 of the Spinner Ring Class. Click here to learn more about the Spinner Ring.
(registration instructions below)
Fabricate a sterling silver band ring with a hammered texture! In this class we will work with a narrow slice of 20ga sterling silver sheet while utilizing the following skills: hammer texturing, ring sizing, annealing, sawing, soldering, and filing. I will share some great tips and tricks to help you achieve a solder seam that virtually disappears. This is a great project to enhance your command of metal fabricating.
The use of an alloy (solder) to create a join using the heat of a torch.
Level: Intermediate (**)
This is a great skills class for soldering with a focus on evenly heating the join.
Desert Jewel Studio, 26839 N 44th St, Cave Creek, AZ 85331. You will receive directions upon registering for class.
This class is not on the schedule at this time. If you are interested in taking it, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and availability.
How do I sign up?
Class will be $55/person. E-mail email@example.com or call Jen at (480)635-2402 to register any time from noon to 10pm.
What will I need to bring to class?
Project Materials: (Blanks also available for sale in class – 3/8″ width for $8.50)
- 3″ Strip of 20ga sterling silver sheet anywhere from 1/4″ – 3/8″ wide (this accommodates most women’s size rings)
Note: If taking this class as part 1 of the Spinner Ring Class – you need the blank to be 3/8″ wide.
Tools: (please inquire about tool rental if you are not equipped)
- Jewelry grade metal file (Swiss made #4 cut half round)
- Steel block with mat to muffle the sound
- Embossing or ball pein hammer
- Wrap n’ tap pliers (Beadsmith #PL46 or Eurotool equivalent with 13mm,16mm, and 20mm steps)
- Stepped Pliers (Beadsmtih #PL48)
- Emery papers, sanding sponges, slurry coated cloths – various grits
- Ring clamp (optional)
- Jeweler’s saw frame and 3/0 blades
- Bur-life, cut lube, bees wax or other lubricant
- Bench pin and clamp
- Magnifying glasses – most people don’t think they need them until they are faced with seeing the detail of jewelry close-up.
- Covered water or other refreshing beverage
- Snacks are always welcome as well. 🙂
The following will be provided for your use in class (feel welcome to bring them if you have them to reduce the wait time):
- basic soldering set-up
- medium silver solder
- rubber jaw vise
- 2″ square
- finger gauge set
- Ring Mandrel
- Forming hammer
- Ring shank ruler
- Digital caliper
- Sharpie – ultra fine tip
- Split mandrel/ flex shaft
- Dapping tool shanks or stepped ring mandrel
The majority of the above items are available locally at C&D Silver, SJ Jewelry Supply, Lonnie’s Jewelry Supply or other on-line jewelry supply sources. If you have any difficulty or questions about obtaining any of these items, please contact Jen to inquire about your options.